Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Gonna Get a Little Sideways...

That's exactly what I did last night. After an hour drive in the rain that usually takes 30... maybe 40 minutes tops, I made my way from the $15 parking lot to one of the greatest venues I've seen. I'm sure I looked out of place even at a country concert with pretty close to only white people but I let loose and couldn't have cared less what any of the old fogies around me thought. Alone concerts are awesome! I sang at the top of my lungs and cheered like crazy when Keith Urban announced "Everybody, DIERKS BENTLEY!" I'm pretty sure the teen next to me thought I was nuts but I LOVE him and he totally wasn't on the bill to be there. Single handedly the best moment of the night. :-)

Keith Urban is pretty much fantastic live. I don't know a bunch of his older stuff but knew all of the more recent songs and had a blast jamming to "Sweet Thing". If they had had the yellow sweet thing shirt in a normal persons size, I would have splurged and bought it. I had hoped to hear "You Look Good in My Shirt" but seeing Brad Paisley with him for "Start a Band" was incredible. Still kind of bummed that was the only song BP played. I had hoped for more since he was the sole reason for me buying a ticket. Oh well, I got more than I had bargained for. Lady Antebellum did sing "Need You Now" to which I freaked when the music started. Definitely my favorite song of the moment. Faith Hill and Little Big Town were kind of washes for me. I had heard all of the songs that were played by them but not enough to know the words. They provided my "sit down and rest my legs" moments. Vince Gill was great and it was totally kick ass that he wore his Preds jersey the entire show. The South Carolina lady to my left now knows that Nashville has a hockey team and that Vince Gill is a fan and that Keith and Nicole Kidman have been spotted there along with Taylor Swift. I did my part.

I guess Taylor Swift was the biggest act as far as the crowd was concerned, lots of young girls in attendance, but she was less than stellar if I'm being honest. I love her songs. Lines like "can he tell that I can't breath", "absentmindedly making me want you", and "when all you wanted was to be wanted " are personal favorites that scream genius to my "young at heart" heart... but the vocals were just okay. "Love Story" was a million times better than "Fifteen". She was good but I didn't think she should have closed the show.

Jason Aldean however, was AMAZING! Personally, I think they should have put every act in front of him and just let the show end with him singing "She's Country". I didn't think I'd hear or speak again after jamming out to that. Everyone (with the exception of my section) was up dancing and being their inner redneck, including myself. I'd love to see him again. The lights and music along with his vocals stole the show. Throw in that he sang "Big Green Tractor" and he was easily my favorite act (behind Dierks showing up).

Obviously Tim McGraw didn't grace us with his presence since I'm alive and able to type this out. I knew I had put way too much into what the guy on The Wolf said, it was fun to think about though. Can't wait until he releases his tour schedule. If I have to drive to ATL or STL or where ever, I WILL see him next year. Don't know if I'll be alone or if I can even afford it but it WILL happen. My love for him is so far beyond Kelsey's Ryan Suter/Tim McGraw cd from a couple of years ago. Yes, it's what started it but I don't claim "Green Grass Grows" or "I Like It, I Love It" as my favorite songs anymore.

So that was my night. I ended up spending my entire roadtrip spending money fund on parking and food but I'll find a way to save it up again. It was worth it. One less thing to look forward to now though. :-(

No comments: