Thursday, September 10, 2009

Awkward

I have moved out of my parents house. It seems like with all of the wanting and wishing to do so, it would have been a well thought out process but instead it was a shotgun affair. I contacted my new roommate on a Monday and by the following Monday, I was out. I had never planned on being someones roommate but after the hag Kristen's been lately, I jumped at the first opportunity. It may not have been well thought out but for the next 10 months I can afford my rent and have no problem saying that I am now on my own.
It's only been 4 days since I moved my stuff in but I'm hoping that the first days aren't a preview to how things will be until May. The guy is nice enough (and it is a guy) and his girlfriend seems like someone I would hang out with but it's just awkward. I'm trying to tell myself that it's not me but the situation because I reflect every morning and I can't see that I've done anything wrong or acted any differently than the typical person. I have no idea if he's ever had a roommate besides his brother, let alone a girl. I know things are different for him but this is all new to me too. I don't know what I expected. I didn't think we'd be friends or anything but I thought that we would have at least had one conversation. I asked him how he wanted to break up the rent and utilities last night and it was probably the first thing we had said to each other besides "you figured out the tv?" He hangs out in his room a lot and after today I'll have cable in mine but I don't think I'm going to just hide away. There's no point in that. Hopefully things will loosen up when hockey season starts. That seems to be the one thing we have in common. Of course, I'll probably screw it up by making some "Suter's hot" reference.
Tonight I'm cooking real food for the first time in my kitchen. I'm honestly starving after eating bread, peanut butter, and cheese every meal for the past few days. Payday is tomorrow which means I'll go grocery shopping tonight. I spend most of my nights at home because I'm broke and don't know many people in Murfreesboro. I'm fine being a homebody though, it allows me to spend money on what I love and I've still got to save about $200 more for the trip in December. If that means watching tv every night, so be it. The shower situation is weird too. I'm not ever home when he's getting up and ready since I leave for work at 7 and his first class isn't until 9:30 but he's always there when I'm showering or getting ready for bed. Just another way things are awkward.
I don't want people to think I'm complaining because I'm not. I'm greatful and excited for the opportunity, I justed needed to vent. It's not like I can say this stuff on the phone when they're in the next room.

No comments: